When I was looking through my book and comparing blocks, I got it in my head that Bouquet and Tulip were virtually identical, except for the bottom corner, which is a HST in the first and a square in the second.  Since I was making the Bouquet block today, I figured I’d just whip out the Tulip block as well.  And, in fact, Bouquet was a great preparation for Tulip.  It wasn’t until I got into it, however, that I realized there were a couple other subtle differences.

2013-01-22 12.51.26This is the finished Bouquet block.  Note the V shape from the basket up through the leaves.

 

 

2013-01-22 16.04.17

This the finished Tulip block.  Note how the lower half forms a support for the flower, and the leaves extend all the way out and become part of the outer edge of the block.

Here’s how I did it.

 

2013-01-22 15.31.08

The templates that are needed are 4, 7, 16, 16r, 45, 93, and 93r.  What’s that you say?  4, 93 and 93r aren’t pictured here?  You’re absolutely right.  Remember I said I thought this block was just like Bouquet except for the bottom corner?  Well, I cut out rectangles, making one of them 2″ longer so that I didn’t have to cut out a 2″ square of fabric just to sew it back to where I cut it off from.  I neglected to take seam allowances into consideration, so if you do this, only make it 1 1/2″ longer, not 2″.  When I realized that the rectangle pieces needed to have angled ends, I placed them right sides together, placed template 93r on top of them and trimmed the angle.

2013-01-22 16.00.29

  1. Starting at the top, I matched the short sides of the background triangle to the short side of the petal pieces.  With this block, I chose to press my seams open and will likely be doing that from here on out.
  2. Next I matched the long sides of the background triangles to the outside edges of the petals, sewed them together and pressed the seams.  In fact, let’s just make it simple:  after every seam is sewn, I press it.
  3. With right sides together, I matched the long sides of the background triangles to the top, short edges of the leaves.
  4. Lining up the edges and the seams, I placed the petal portion on top of the leaf portion and sewed them together.
  5. I took the two mirror images of the flower, placed them right sides together, taking care to match the seams, and sewed them together.
  6. To make the lower half of the block, I sewed the short rectangle to one side of the yellow triangle, making sure the angle of the triangle continues on.  I then repeated this on the other side, sewing the longer rectangle to the yellow triangle and the red background.
  7. With the two halves completed, it was really simple to lay the two halves on top of each other and sew the long diagonal seam.

My finished tulip is beautiful, if I do say so myself.  I love the way it turned out.

2013-01-22 16.04.17

Advertisements