This one kind of reminds me of the Box Block.  I decided to do a little bit of fussy cutting with this one.  I like the way it turned out in the end, though I do wish my fabrics had contrasted more.  I swear they loose pigment when I cut them! lol  One thing this quilt is teaching me is how to choose colors.  Maybe by the time I’m done I’ll have it down.

2013-01-26 00.44.05

I have a charm pack that I’m slowly pulling fabrics from to use in this quilt.  So many of them lend themselves well to the feel I’m going for.  The block itself is made up of 2 1/2″ squares and 2 1/2″ HSTs.  Rather than cutting out triangles, I took two charm squares, placed them right sides together, and sewed around all four sides, then cut it in half diagonally, just once.  I needed four charms for this.

 

2013-01-26 00.46.49

Using a squaring up ruler, I placed the diagonal line on the center seam, lined up the 2 1/2″ mark on the lower corner, and cut away the excess.  One of these days I’ll figure out the math without so much waste.  But not today, obviously.

 

2013-01-26 00.53.35

When laying out the block, I but the squares in place, forming a “+” sign, and put the HSTs in the four corners, arranged in such a way that they form a sort of exploded pinwheel, if that makes sense.

Once I had all the pieces laid out, I placed the three center pieces face down on the left pieces, then chain stitched them together.  Once the seams were pressed, I repeated the process with the right pieces, attaching them to the three strips.  Then it was just a simple matter of sewing the three rows together to complete the blocks.

I didn’t press the seams open on this one, but rather pressed them so that the seams nested from one row to the next.

2013-01-26 01.05.13

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements