I was so excited to make this block.  1) because it was simple and 2) because it gave me an opportunity to use my vintage fabrics.  I took the time to fussy cut them a bit, so that I could really highlight them.  I chose to offset them with some of my mom’s fabric stash.  All in all, I think it turned out to be bright and cheerful, which is the mood I was in when I made it!

This block uses just three templates:  13, 20, and 21.  You could easily use just two fabrics, or a different fabric for each piece, which would give it a very different feel.  I chose to use a background fabric and then different fabrics for each of the focus squares.

2013-02-20 15.57.39

Like all blocks, I laid out all the pieces.  My background fabric is blue/white ticking, and I truly did intend to have the stripes radiating out from the center.  It was a great idea, but I quickly became distracted by the vintage fabrics and making sure they were where I wanted them to be.

I started in the center and essentially created a 9 patch.  I took care to press the seams open on this one.  Seemed like it would cut down on the bulk later.  The downside to this is it makes it a bit trickier to match up the seams because you can’t nest them.

2013-02-20 16.07.31

Now it’s time to work on the corner units.  There are two ways to do this:

1)  Sew the outer background corners to the feature fabric, then sew the larger triangles to each side

2)  Sew the side triangles to either side of the feature fabric, then sew the small triangle to the top of each feature fabric.

I chose option 2, but I honestly think option 1 would work better for alignment purposes.

Last but not least, sew the corner units to each side of the 9 patch and your block is done!  If I were to do this again, I would not use stripes.  Or, if I did, I’d make sure they’re perfectly straight and radiate out from the center.  Oh, like I meant to do in the beginning! lol

2013-02-20 16.16.48