My father-in-law grew up on a homestead farm near Gandy, Utah.  One of his chores was to get the mail once a week.  He would saddle the horse, pack a lunch, and head out.  It took him all day to go there and back.  Yeah, they were a little remote.

Growing up on the farm meant the family had to make their own entertainment, as did families on any farm.  A lot of puzzles were developed.  Not picture puzzles, but more along the lines of  “figure out how to take it apart and put it back together again” puzzles.  Like two horseshoes joined by a few links of chain, with a solid ring circling the chain.  The purpose is to get the ring off.  My father-in-law has a number of these puzzles around the house.  Keeps the grandkids and adults entertained for hours!

This block, I’m sure, was inspired by some of those old puzzles.  It uses two colors and goes together pretty quickly.  When you’re cutting out the angled pieces (template #32 and #32R), you can do it two different ways: either cut out all of one template by laying pieces of fabric on top of each other, all face up, or you can fold the fabric in half, use just one template, and one cut will make both a #32 piece and a #32R piece.  I used the first method, simply because I’ve had bad luck doing it the other way.

IMG_0582When I was looking at the instructions for this, it looked more complex than it did when I got it laid out.  Once it was laid out I realized that it was going to be a simple matter of attaching two light triangles to either end of rhombus.

 

IMG_0584I sewed a light triangle to both angled ends of the rhombus and pressed the seams open.  When this was done, I laid a right and a left half right sides together.  Starting at the top of the point, I lined up the seams and stitched them together.  After pressing the seams, I had four corner pieces.

 

IMG_0586Now it’s time to start assembling the top and bottom rows.  I laid the center strip on top of the left corner unit, making sure the chevron is pointing to the left.  I ran it through the sewing machine, pressed the seam open, then laid the top right corner unit on top, sewed, and pressed.  I repeated the process for the bottom row  Then I laid the long horizontal strip face down on the lower edge of the top row and sewed in in place.  This is where it gets tricky.  When you lay the bottom row face down on the rest of the block, line of the seams of the short center strips so that when you’re all done it appears seamless.  I messed it up the first time and had to take it apart.  Pins did a great job of holding everything in place while I sewed it together.

IMG_0588My finished Farmer’s Puzzle block looks pretty good.  I went ahead and squared it up.

A BIG shout-out to Nursemate2 who send me some fabulous fabrics in a scrap swap.  The fabrics she sent PERFECTLY fit in with the other fabrics in my quilt.  THANKS!!!

 

 

 

Advertisements