9339 (533x800)

My parents keep a hive in their backyard.  Well, “backyard” is being generous.  It’s 3×40 foot strip separating their driveway from the neighbor’s driveway.  But when we moved in, long before Mom married my stepdad, she made the most of it.  She planted a dozen dwarf fruit trees.  In between them she would plant pumpkins, zucchini, crook-neck squash, and peas.  When dad arrived on the scene, he cleared some space for a beehive.  At one point, they had two hives, the other one being in the front garden.  One day dad noticed what appeared to be Honey Bee Rush Hour, with bees flying back and forth at breakneck speed.  It seems each hive had discovered the other and recognized it as a source of easy pickings.  They were able to “break into” each others hives because they’d all started off in the same hive, so they all knew the right passwords to get in.  Dad had to move the new hive to a new location about 5 miles away.  And thus ended the great Honey Heist of 1997.

This block went together so easily.  It has two colors, light and dark, and three templates, 56, 57 and 57R.  It’s not really necessary to use both 57 and 57R. If you fold the fabric in half when cutting out the pieces, you automatically end up with 1 of each.

2013-10-24 22.10.16The dark pieces remind me of half hexies or tumblers.  They get laid out in two columns.  Starting at the top, lay the first tumbler with the wide edge at the top.  Working your way down, match the edges, narrow to narrow and wide to wide.  Make two identical columns.

Take the light pieces (I call them “wings”) and line them up with each tumbler so that the end result looks like a rectangle.  Once you’ve gotten everything lined up, it’s time to sew.

I chain stitched all 8 tumblers with one wing and pressed the seams open.  Then I repeated the process to attach the wing to the opposite side.

Next, I laid pieces from the right column face down on the pieces in the left column.  There were no real seams to match this way.  I chain stitched and pressed the seams open.  In retrospect, I think it would be better to pair them up from top to bottom.  I think the points of the honeycomb will match up better this way.  Try it and let me know.  Once the seams were pressed, I laid the top row on top of the second row and stitched them together, then did the same with the third and fourth rows.  Finally, I stitched the two halves together, taking great care to match the seams as I went.

I really like the contrast between the light and dark and how the honeycomb pattern appears.  I think if I were making up a honeycomb block of my own, I’d use the small half-hexi ruler from MSQC, which would make the honeycomb shape more uniform.  But I doubt I’ll ever get around to that!

2013-10-24 22.20.52

 

 

Advertisements