9338 (533x800)Here’s another picture of my cute parents in their bee suits.  I think they had a little bee in the little box, but I can’t remember for certain.  This was taken just before we had a surprise birthday party for my dad.  The theme was “Tacky”.  How tacky, you ask?  well, let me put it this way:  We had a buffet lunch, and the lunch meat was arranged as a “skirt” for a Barbie doll.  Hollow out a red cabbage, stuff her legs down into the hole, drape the meat artistically on the cabbage, securing it with toothpicks.  Yeah, it was hideous!

And has absolutely nothing to do with this block, but it’s a funny story and a fun memory.  Mom, always privy to the jokes dad and I would play on each other, kept him busy in the back yard with the bees while Jim and I got everything set up in the front yard.  She was an excellent double agent.

 

Honey’s Choice, like Honeycomb, uses two colors, light and dark, and utilizes templates 34, 35, and 38.  When I was first looking it over, I thought it was going to be somewhat complex.  Then I realized it’s just four pinwheels separated by a cross.  Easy-peasy.

2013-10-24 22.46.58I started to lay out the block and had planned to lay out all the pinwheel pieces when inspiration struck: Why?  They’re just a bunch of HSTs.  Why not just leave them in their respective piles and chain stitch them from there.  Why not, indeed!  So that’s what I did.  And as I was doing that, further inspiration struck for future blocks:  When I have a block with a lot of two color HSTs, just put the two contrasting fabrics right sides together and cut out the pieces that way.  They’re perfectly matched and already to go.  A definite time saver, and something I’m sure others have thought of before me.  I’m a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

2013-10-24 23.14.46Going with the KISS method (keep it simple, stupid), I laid out my HSTs and sewed them in pairs, then, making sure my pins were all pointed in the right direction (this took me awhile, and you can see the 2nd from the left isn’t quite there yet), I sewed together my pinwheels.  Each pinwheel then got placed in one of the four corners of the block.

 

Starting with the top row, 2013-10-24 23.26.52I sewed the pinwheels to either side of the center rectangle.  I repeated this for the bottom row.  For the middle row, I sewed a rectangle to either side of the center square.

For this block, I pressed the seams of the top and bottom rows toward the center, and for the middle row toward the outside.  This allowed me to nest the seams when I sewed the three rows together.

The end result is that all my seams are near perfect.  In fact, I was stunned when I looked at the finished product!  There are more pinwheels coming up, so we’ll see how I do.2013-10-24 23.39.11

Advertisements